Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dear Marketing Strategists,

There's something you should know about me.  I am a pretty easy-going guy, but there is a surefire way to ensure that I do not engage your services or purchase your product:  show up on my doorstep and tell me I must do something.

Seriously.  As soon as you tell me I need to show you my natural gas bill / hydro bill / water heater, you've just guaranteed that my heels will dig in and you've lost the sale.  You could have the best service in the world to offer, but I'll simply never know.  I hate the doorframe strategy that much, particularly when coupled with some fictitious obligation to do as you ask.

I know that you've been coached on indicating your neat little identification tag as well, but really, is a reliable laminator so hard to come by these days?  I don't mean to imply that you're shady criminals trying to pull a fast one over on the unsuspecting public, gaining access to our homes so you can scope out the goods and return under cover of darkness with your goons to snatch up the priceless jewels and artwork that we undoubtedly have on display in our parlours, but what does showing that ID really prove?  Just that you ... um ... at minimum a home computer and access to the Business Depot.

So I'm sorry if I'm missing out on something wonderful.  I'm sorry if your door-to-door sales agent is missing out on my commission.  I'm sorry if I just irk you with my stubborn nature.  I just can't turn off the part of my brain that gets defiant whenever the trigger of your sales tactic is pulled.  It's just who I am.

Sincerely,

Me

P.S.  This applies even if your sales representative has an incredibly enjoyable Irish accent that was the inspiration for every leprechaun stereotype in the Western world.  The only difference is that I'm sort of smiling the whole time I'm saying, "No."

No comments:

Post a Comment