Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Dear Kinect for X-Box,

Thank you for starting a second round of 'You are the Controller' ads. It's great to be reminded of all of the ways to be active while still in front of a screen.

I especially am excited by the prospects of Kinect Sports Season Two. As your latest commercial points out, Kinect will bring us our favourite sports the way they were meant to be played.

I just need you to clear up a point of confusion. I'm just at a loss to figure out what comes in the box. You see, unless I'm mistaken, the way skiing was meant to be played involved things like skis and ... well ... snow. Baseball involved bats, balls, gloves, and a whole bunch of people who just won't fit in my living room. Toss in tennis, football, golf, and darts (no offense, darters, but is darts a sport? I thought it was a game.) I just don't see how you can get everything I would need to play all of these games "the way they were meant to be played".

So how does that work? Do I pick up the disk at Costco and then you send a shipping container to my home with everything else? Can I set up the X-Box (with Kinect) out on a football field? Will it recognize my whole football team in uniforms and pads? I just want to be sure we get it right.

Of course, it's possible, of course, that I've misunderstood the whole concept. Is it possible that the inventors of these sports actually intended us to stand in our living rooms with spectators on the couch and mime the actions? Were they just waiting patiently for technological advances to catch up with their visions? If so, thank goodness the time has come for their dreams to come to fruition!

Thank you, and I eagerly await clarification on the above issues before I rush out to buy an X-Box.

Sincerely,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment